Thursday, August 11, 2016

Maybe Another Word for Indecision

The Daily Post Prompt: Write a new post in response to today’s one-word prompt. Maybe   images-3-min

Don’t you hate it when someone puts you on the spot with an unexpected invitation? I do and like many people tend to fall back on the old reliable, “Maybe.”

It’s a word (answer) we believe will help get us out of making a decision or a commitment we’re certain, in the back of our minds, we aren’t, can’t, or won’t  keep. We don’t want to hurt feelings so,  “Maybe” gives us a way out. Only, it’s not a way out; it’s indecision.

“Decision is a sharp knife that cuts clean and straight. Indecision a dull one that hacks and tears and leaves ragged edges behind it.” Gordon Graham Tweet this

Now, I’m not preaching to the choir or holding myself up as a decision guru. When I worked, my decisions were quick and decisive, but take me out to dinner and this is what my decisions look like.”Maybe” has be2011-05-10-at-a-restaurant-minen my fall guy for many years.

“Maybe” has been my fall guy for many times. But, here’s the thing, it also leaves jagged edges behind.

Invitations stop, projects lay unfinished, and feelings are hurt. As I’ve gotten older, I do my best, to be honest with myself and say, “no” instead of “maybe.”  It isn’t always easy, but I have encouragement from one of my all-time favorite resources – a book by Manuel J. Smith, Ph.D.

When I say no, I feel guilty.  Since the day I discovered this book, I have kept it close by for easy access and referral. The very from page includes a Bill of Assertive Rights.

“You have the right to say, really No, without feeling guilty.” Manuel J. Smith Ph.D. Tweet this

The next time you’re tempted to say “maybe” want to say, “No” – be true to yourself; you have that right.

I’d love to hear your comments. Talk to me. Tell me your story and look for me on Facebook at SheilaMGood,  PinterestBloglovinTwitter@sheilamgood, Contently, and Instagram. You can follow my reviews on Amazon and Goodreads.


Filed under: Blogging, Daily Post Prompts, Prompts, Writing Tagged: #amwriting, Daily Post Prompts, Indecision

from WordPress http://ift.tt/2bjixWa
via IFTTT