Thursday, July 28, 2011

COW PASTURE CHRONICLES


I grew up on the outskirts of town and many afternoons were spent lost in the pages of books. An avid reader from as long as I can remember, I devoured books. My mother also a reader encouraged us, never censoring any of the books we picked up. So, a love of the written word came early and young. 

Her only exception to written words was a warning she gave often. "Don't ever put in writing, what you don't want others to read.” I didn’t heed her words, particularly, as teenager with love letters and diaries often getting me into trouble. Just as reading became second nature, so did writing. I wrote poems, essays, and journaled, all in a secret place.

My secret place was the cow pasture behind our house. Nearly every day I climbed the fence and ran down the hill in the midst of huge cattle to a stream, and the under the trees I filled notebooks with writings. I found my voice.

I will be 58 years old this month and for the first time ever I am putting on paper for all those who choose to read, my words. I write every day. Sometimes it's an opinion, a thought, or an essay. Other days I write short stories. I am working on my first novel and enjoy the mentorship of a wonderful writers group. I write because I love to write, and no longer have to hide down by stream in a cow pasture.

Welcome to the Cow Pasture Chronicles.