Thursday, September 24, 2015

A Review – Story Engineering by Larry Brooks

I can’t tell you how many people have recommended this book to me and for good reason. A panster at heart, I found my story floundering and myself stuck around the 40,000-word mark.

Already an ardent follower of Larry Brooks blog,  Storyfix, I downloaded Story Engineering and dug in. This book is by far one of the most comprehensive books on story structure I’ve read to date.

Full of helpful how-to’s and thorough examples, Larry teaches you how to structure and outline a story before you write the first word. From the six core competencies, necessary for every story,  a list of detailed questions, and clear examples from popular movies and books, Larry takes you through the process for writing a successful and publishable novel.

This book is one of those every writer needs in their library collection. It is one you will refer to again and again.

I’d love to hear your comments. Talk to me. Tell me your story. And as always, you can follow me on Facebook at SheilaMGood, PinterestBloglovin, Twitter @cofcmom, and Contently.


Filed under: Books, Novel Construction, Resources for Writers, Reviews Tagged: #amwriting, Larry Brooks, Narrative structure, StoryFix, Writing

from WordPress http://ift.tt/1VcljrN
via IFTTT