Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Maggie’s Lesson in Democracy

100 Word Challenge for Grown Ups – Week#152     That’s democracy…

 

“Mom?”

Nell turned to her thirteen-year-old daughter, Maggie.

“Since we live in a democracy, you know, ‘consent of the governed,’ shouldn’t I get a vote?”

Nell admired her daughter’s spunk. “A vote?”

“I feel like I’m living under autocratic rule with you the self appointed ruler.”

“I’m your mother and, by law, responsible for you.”

“But…”

“Actually, our democracy is practiced in the form of a republic, which provides checks and balances and an establishment able to thump an unruly mob on its head.”

“Mom!”

“At home, you’re the unruly mob and I’m the check and balances. That’s democracy, sweetheart.”


Filed under: 100 Word Challenge, Flash Fiction, Prompts, Writing Tagged: #Julia'sPlace, 100WCGU, Autocracy, Democracy, Flash Fiction; Prompt, Teenagers

from WordPress http://ift.tt/1H3TaMb
via IFTTT