Friday, February 10, 2012

WHERE DO YOUR CHARACTERS COME FROM?

I belong to two different writing groups and each time, I learn something new. The insight I gain isn't always about writing. For example, when I worked I was  respected as an excellent RN and later, an Administrator. I did my job well. The difference between me and most other women had to do with the delivery. The voice, the tone you might say. I was a very organized, focused, direct person, a strong, independent woman.

All of us bring a little something of ourselves and experiences into what we write. Whether  it is in tone, voice, words or characters. I've discovered I bring that strong personality into my characters. I have other characters. Some with a sarcastic wit about them that bring a mischievous smile to my face. Others can be rather sexy, but by far it is the strong character that wants to take center stage. It is a challenge for me.

How do you tell your story? Is it with humor? Sarcasm? Bitterness?

When you tell a story are your characters funny? Magical? Strong? All powerful?  Silly? or Loving?

Where do your characters come from? Do you tame them? Should you?

Tell me. Share. An aspiring writer would like to know.