Thursday, December 15, 2016

Are you searching for the right words?

A big thanks to Sheila for letting me jump into her Cow Pasture and share in her absence. 

coffeeEach morning with a strong cup of coffee, I open my gmail. As I wade through the good, bad and crazy stuff in my inbox, one email never fails to generate a smile.

Word of the day from Dictionary.com.

I read the word aloud, before reading the definition. My husband and I have a bit of fun guessing the meaning. He almost always gets it right.

Why am I telling you about this silly little morning ritual?

Not because I’m becoming a great wordsmith. No, most days I’ve forgotten the new word before my second cup of coffee. However, it reminds me to not limit my writing to the same old tired adjectives.

I’m quite sure I’ll never or at least rarely use any of the obscure words selected by Dictionary.com. Come on, I doubt I’ll ever use soliloquize in a sentence. Although I often go around the house talking to myself. 

But, I hope reading these types of little prompts will act as a reminder to search for more creative ways to express myself. To step away from the mundane and ordinary, reaching for the unusual.

What about you, do you find yourself reaching, searching for a better word?

How do you find just the right word?

I’d love to hear from you! Leave a comment or click the “write me” tab or look for me on Twitter @jeancogdell, Facebook at jean.cogdell and Amazon.com, stop by and say hey! The lights are on, and I’m waiting.

Please remember to share this post with your Twitter  peeps and Facebook fans.

Keep reading more great posts on how to be creative!

101 Words to Use Instead of “Amazing”

Synonyms for the 96 most commonly used words in English

317 Power Words That’ll Instantly Make You a Better Writer

 

 


Filed under: CPC Contributors, Guest Post, Writing Tagged: #amwriting, #jeanswriting, @jeancogdell, Creative writing, Prompts, Writing, Writing tips

from WordPress http://ift.tt/2gMxt2a
via IFTTT