Monday, May 9, 2016

Stories to Share From the SmokeLong Quarterly

Time to ShareIt’s time to get back on schedule, and one of my favorite things to do is to share stories from other writers.

The selection this week comes from the SmokeLong Quarterly – “an online literary magazine dedicated to flash fiction.”

bg_footerlogo

An interesting fact about SmokeLong Quarterly is how they came up with the name.

Founded in 2003 by Dave Clapper, the name “Smoke-long” comes from the Chinese – “who noted that reading flash takes the same length of time to smoke a cigarette.” According to the staff, all the work they accept for publication is “precisely a smoke long.”

Never having smoked, the amount of time its takes to smoke a cigarette, is not a time frame familiar to me. So, I’ll stick to word counts. Whichever method you prefer, SmokeLong Quarterly publishes great stories. Here are three of my favorites:

  1. The Tale End by Susan Kim Campbell
  2. Prismatic by Eileen Merriman
  3. Cravat by Rosanne Scott

Interested in submitting to SmokeLong?

They publish flash fiction of 1000 words or less. Never charge a reading fee, and submissions are open 365 days a year. You can check out the guidelines here.

Good luck and let me know what you think about today’s stories. More importantly, let the authors know what you thought – stories are meant to be shared.

I’d love to hear your comments. Talk to me. Tell me your story and look for me on Facebook at SheilaMGood,  PinterestBloglovinTwitter@sheilamgood, and Contently.


Filed under: Flash Fiction, Flash fiction markets, Stories to Share, Writing Tagged: #amwriting, #smokelongquarterly, Flash Fiction, Literary Magazine, Submissions

from WordPress http://ift.tt/1VQxlfD
via IFTTT