Day 11: #atozchallenge
All Bloggers are, theoretically, familiar with the term keywords. If you’re like me, understanding what they are and what they do for our blogs is still a mystery. I’ll admit, this is one area of blogging, I haven’t gotten a complete grasp on, yet.
Keywords are words or phrases used in search engines to find the information we’re seeking. For example, place any word or phrase (best is 3-5 words) into Google, Bing, or Yahoo and a list of content reflecting your topic will appear. Keywords are either short tail (one word) or long tail (a phrase). Every article or blog content can be reduced to a few key topics. The trick is to choose your keywords carefully. Common keywords will receive thousands of clicks per day, others a few. As a blogger, you want the find and use the keywords that increase traffic to your site.
How to Find the Right Keywords:
- Research keywords.
- Keep track of your keywords in a spreadsheet – include the number of clicks per day.
- Don’t spam – using keywords arbitrarily.
- Write great content that people want to read.
- Once you find relevant keywords, place them where they’ll give you the biggest bang.
4 Keyword Mistakes:
- Too many keywords – best for search engines to use one per post.
- Using exact phrases – Google understands related words and phrases. Don’t be so rigid.
- Not using keywords in photos – photo optimization is essential.
- You don’t research keywords
Resources for Finding Trending Keywords:
Where to place the keywords:
- Heading and subheadings.
- Introduction sentences.
- Concluding paragraphs and meta descriptions.
- Title tag.
- In the text, you hyperlink to other pages.
- When you use photos, include keywords in the file name
- When you reference other links.
Want more information on keywords? Check out these articles:
- Blogtyrant : How to Easily Find the Best Keywords to Write About (and How to Activate Them).
- Hubspot: How to Do Keyword Research for SEO: A Beginner’s Guide by Rachel Sprung | @rsprung
- Shout Me Loud: The Importance of Keywords in SEO: A Beginner’s Guide by
- Moz: Is Optimizing Photos More Important Than You Think?
So, what about you? Do you have a grasp on keywords?
Filed under: A-Z Blogging Challenge, SEO, Tips and Resources for Writers Tagged: #amwriting, #AtoZChallenge, Blogging 101, Content marketing, Google, HubSpot, Search engine optimization, Writing
from WordPress http://ift.tt/1Vlv5wk