Monday, February 8, 2016

What’s in a Name? Like it or Leave it

Write about your first name: Are you named after someone or something? Are there any stories or associations attached to it? If you had the choice, would you rename yourself?

newspaperNames are important. New parents, in particular, spend weeks or months picking out the perfect name to attach to the 3-D face of their child.

Books listing baby names from the most popular, gender, or meaning line shelf after shelf.

Family names are passed from one generation to the next with surnames becoming the first, middle, third, or hyphenated name. We choose them based on our belief systems, ideology, favorite fruits, hobbies, movies, idols, or the desire to be different.Take your pick.

My mother, a voracious reader, chose my name, Sheila, after a character in a book. I don’t know the name of the book and the last time I asked mom, she couldn’t remember. But,  my grandmother hated the name and for the first few months of my life refused to call me Sheila; instead she called me Shitty.

No wonder I’m such a sensitive soul (Not). However, it’s probably why I grew up to be the strong woman I am.

What’s in my name?

51n3k6ijdxl-_aa320_ql65_According to the baby name books, Google, and Wikipedia Sheila means a few things worth mentioning.

The name Sheila is from the Latin Caelia, which is a feminine form of the Roman clan name Caelius or dimintitive of Cecilia — meaning heavenly, or of the heavens. Yes, those are angel wings you hear in the background.

It is also, derived from the Irish name Síle/Sìle, which is believed to be a Gaelic form of Cecilia, meaning “blind,” from the Latin word caecus (Am not!).
 o
And in Australia, Sheila, is slang for “woman,” derived from the Irish girls’ name Síle (anglicised Sheila). Take notice the next time you go to the Outback Steak House I have my very own room.
Would I change my name? No. What would I call myself? Do I like it? Yes. I mean, what’s better than being a heavenly, feminine, woman who was born loving books?
Okay, I left out blind, but then I’m Scottish, not Irish. And if that sounds a bit snobbish or shitty – well, what can I say? The name fits.

 


Filed under: Daily Post, Family, Prompts, Writing Tagged: #amwriting, Daily Post, Names, Prompts

from WordPress http://ift.tt/1QS6lY1
via IFTTT