Sunday, January 3, 2016

The Truth About New Year’s Resolutions and Our Do-over-list

Resolutions – “The firm decision to do or not do something.”

Aw, New Year’s Resolutions – that time of year when everyone takes a step back, looks at all they did or did not accomplish and makes a list to do better, starting day one of the new year. I for one hate New Year’s Resolutions.

No matter my good intentions, I never fulfill them. I start out with enthusiasm and gusto, just like everyone else, but by the end of the first month, I’ve already marked one from my list. By three months, two more have fallen by the wayside, and by the sixth month, I’ve crumpled the list and thrown it in the trash.

As much as we all want a do-over and that’s what  New Year‘s resolutions are – an attempt to do-over the things we botched last year. The truth is, life rarely grants us a do-over; it is what it is.  We do the best we can each day. Sometimes we screw up and sometimes we knock it out of the park; that’s life. If we’re smart, we learn from our experiences and move forward.

 “I did then what I knew best, when I knew better, I did better.” Mayo Angelo

If you made New Year’s resolutions – good for you. I hope you achieve every goal  on your list. For me, I’ll put one step in front of the other, take a deep breath, and move forward. After all, as long as we’re moving forward, we are accomplishing things, making an impact, and living life. That’s all any of us can ask of ourselves.

To all of you, I wish only the best for you and may we all move forward in 2016. What about you? Did you make resolutions for the New Year?

I’d love to hear your comments. Talk to me. Tell me your story and look for me on Facebook at SheilaMGood,  PinterestBloglovinTwitter @sheilagood, and Contently.

 


Filed under: Holidays, New Year Resolutions, Opinion, Writing Tagged: #2016, #amwriting, #dooverlist, #MayoAngelo, #Newyear, New Year's resolution, Opinion, Resolutions

from WordPress http://ift.tt/1PFvKW5
via IFTTT