Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Are You Crazy? Give Up My What?

DAILY PROMPT: Life After Blogs   Your life without a computer: what does it look like?

apple-iphone-desk-office

Courtesy of Unsplash.com & Pexels

Oh, this is a tough one. As a culture, we have become so technically attached the thought of going without a computer or iPhone sends us into a frenzy. It’s like a smoker without their cigarettes – we don’t have a clue what to do with our hands. And, for the record, I’ve never been a smoker, but I’ve heard that is a problem when kicking the habit. But back to the topic at hand. What would I do if all my computers disappeared? My phone turned into a rotary dial, my Kindle into pages, and my iPad into a chalkboard or even better, an etch-a-sketch.

But back to the topic at hand. What would I do if all my computers disappeared? My phone turned into a rotary dial, my Kindle into pages, and my iPad into a chalkboard or even better, an etch-a-sketch.

A feeling of nostalgia swept over me just typing that sentence. Growing up, we could have never imagined the kinds of technology the future would bring to our fingertips. 2001 seemed like a space odyssey fantasy. But here we are, and the advances are truly space age.

As a young girl, I spent my days outside in the sun. Swinging, hiking in the cow pasture, riding bikes, catching lightening bugs, or daydreaming under a tree. I read book after book and wrote endless essays, poems and letters in a journal. My sisters and I talked about boys, school, each other, how to do makeup and hair, or how we could decipher the words of Mick Jagger’s song, Can’t Get No Satisfaction.

Without all this technology, I would read more, taking baking classes, spend more time at our lake house, or travel. I’d write letters to those I love and leave them with tangible words to remember me by. I’d visit my neighbors or family members more often. And, I’d learn to be still; to enjoy the quietness of life.

Technology has been a tremendous force in our lives. In many ways, it has enhanced our lives, made things easier and more convenient.

Yet, like a coin or a story, there are always two sides. The reverse side of all this wonderful, addicting, convenient technology is a disconnection, lack of intimacy, social isolation, and the inability to communicate with each other.

I’m not sure the tradeoff was worth it.

I’d love to hear your comments. Talk to me. Tell me your story and look for me on Facebook at SheilaMGood,  PinterestBloglovinTwitter@sheilagood, and Contently.

 


Filed under: #technology, Blogging, Daily Post, Opinion, Prompts, Writing Tagged: #amwriting, Daily Post, Musings, Opinion, Prompts, Writing

from WordPress http://ift.tt/1SioMH2
via IFTTT