Monday, June 29, 2015

Too Good to be True?

1Day 12 of the My 500 Words Challenge! Rewrite history, imagine an alternate reality, or just plain lie.

Day 12

Day 12

OMG, OMG, OMG! You won’t believe what happened today. I received an email from a favorite author telling me he loved my blog. At first I thought it was a joke, and when I conveyed my unease, he put me in touch with his publisher, so I could verify  he was who he said.

I mean, who would have thought little old me would have snagged such an impressive author through my flash stories. Especially given I have more rejections than acceptance letters in my files. As they say, I guess persistence does pay off.

We conversed via email a couple of times and I ask him what caught his attention about my blog. He said, “I loved the dark side of some of your flash fiction. I think a couple of them have great potential.”

OMG! Seriously? I was speechless. He offered to read two of my stories and give me feedback. Well, of course, I jumped on that like white on rice (a southern expression). And to think my family would prefer more Pollyanna type stories; it’s just not in me.

Now, I realize y’all are dying to know which famous author contacted me, but unfortunately for y’all, he’s asked me to keep it confidential. I mean, he’d have everybody and their brother asking for the same; I’m sure you understand.

What I can share with you is general information.

He’s an American author and writes, horror, science fiction, suspense and some fantasy. He’s published more than 54 novels and sold more than 350 million copies. I’m hyperventilating as I think about his accomplishments.

We’ve already had three rather lengthy email conversations and I ask him a few of the questions that have always weighed heavy on my mind. For example, does your family think you’re weird for writing such horrific novels? I think mine does. In fact, one sister said, “You’re warped.”

I’m not warped, but the dark side of within us fascinates me. I don’t write horror or fantasy. I write about the what if’s of human nature. Most people tell me, “I would never…” But, you’d be surprised when pushed hard enough; just how far over the line you’d go.

The human psyche fascinates me. What makes one person tick or break makes another strong. There are the psychopaths and sociopaths, which we expect at some time to cross the line and they do usually sooner than later. However, what inspires my stories are the “normal” individuals who cross the line into darkness.

The housewife who murders her husband because he couldn’t handle the disappointments of life as a man and turned into a lazy, drunken liability, The Toast. Or, the young wife who feeds her abusive husband to the alligators as in, The Excursion.

I’ve never published The Toast, one of my first short stories, but Providence has handed me a wonderful opportunity and it’s now in the hands of my new friend. Based on his feedback so far, I am optimistic.

I don’t know why he chose me; I’m not the best writer, but as mama always told me, “Don’t look a gift horse in the mouth.” In other words, shut up and be grateful for this gift, and I am.

 

I’d love to hear your comments. Talk to me. Tell me your story. And as always, you can follow me on Facebook at SheilaMGood and  Twitter @cofcmom.


Filed under: My 500 Word Challenge, Prompts, Writing Tagged: #amwriting, #jeffgoins, Fiction, lies, my500 words, Prompts

from WordPress http://ift.tt/1LDTuIA
via IFTTT