Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Stay Calm and Read On

Day 12

Day 13

Day 13 of the My 500 Words Challenge.  “A journal entry, but with a twist: make your day sound interesting.”

Yesterday, day12 of the my500 word challenge, was so much fun. To refresh your memory, here’s the prompt:

“It’s true that honesty is the best policy. It’s just fun to fib now and again. Not in a dirty and deceptive way, but in a way that invokes imagination. Just for today’s challenge, it’s okay to stretch the truth a little. Rewrite history, imagine an alternate reality, or just plain lie.” 

I had no desire to “rewrite history,” from my viewpoint, we’ve had enough of rewriting history. Alternate realities are not my thing, although, sometimes I feel as if we’re all living in an alternate reality.  But, the last part of the prompt caught my attention, ” just plain lie.”

I have to admit the thought brought a mischievous smile to my face. As Jeff said, “It’s just fun to fib now and again.”

As writer’s we all have plenty of experience with rejections and I’ll admit I turn green with envy when I read of some author achieving instant fame with their very first book. Hearing those stories make me want to toilet paper their house. How in Sam’s hill did they accomplish that? Who did they have to do? Give me a name I’ll call. (Just kidding).

We all want to be recognized, win a contest, or have our work discovered. But, as you know, achieving instant fame is like finding a needle in a haystack or an act of divine Providence.

I don’t want to reveal any spoilers; you can read my prompt by clicking here. The responses I received surprised and delighted me. My sister and fellow writer-in-crime came out of the gate first and called me.

“Omg! That’s wonderful. You have to tell me, who is it?”

Similar responses followed and I dutifully responded to each one. I got a taste, albeit a tiny taste, of what being discovered might feel like, and it was amazing.

Throughout the day, each time my phone pinged, I would find another congrats or “Like” and spent most of the day giggling as if I were a school age girl playing a prank on the teacher. I even received a note from WordPress, “Cow Pasture Chronicles received record Likes today.”

As much fun as I had yesterday, I couldn’t help but wonder. What made my post so credible? I’d given all kinds of clues, the biggest being the title and secondly, I restated the prompt at the top of the post. Yet, it went unregistered.

No one questioned the probability of such an occurrence; they accepted my story as truth. I like to think it was the writing. I wrote it so well, so convincingly, you had to believe it to be true (Please, don’t burst my bubble). The truth is, most people skim when they read, and there are numerous studies to support this, “When you add more verbiage to a page, people will only read 18% of it.” You can read more of these studies, here.

I am a stickler for truth and accuracy, but I had a great deal of fun not only fibbing, but  experiencing a hint of what I hope is to come. I mean, Mr. King could get wind of my post and call. Stranger things have happened.

Photo courtesy of : sarahmaidofalbion.blogspot.com

Photo courtesy of : sarahmaidofalbion.blogspot.com


Filed under: My 500 Word Challenge, Prompt Tagged: #amwriting, Creative writing, my500 words

from WordPress http://ift.tt/1LGPnvw
via IFTTT