Monday, February 27, 2012

6530 WORDS IN TWO DAYS

It's amazing what you can do when you 're able to focus and shut out all the distractions around you. I took a mini sabbatical this weekend. Packed my little laptop up and drove to Charlotte to baby sit my daughters two cats, well that was the ruse I used. After all, she was going to be gone five whole days!

My plan was to get some serious writing done on my novel, which lately I had been unable to do. Now, don't misunderstand. I didn't mislead my family. My husband knew exactly what I was up to, and was completely supportive. Although, I must say he had some rather unrealistic expectations. I told him coming back with a "Complete novel ready for the publisher" was not likely. Hell, at home over the last week or so I'd been lucky to met my goal of 500 words a day. Coming back with a complete novel in two days, I just couldn't see happening.

Life just kept interfering, but you learn to roll with the punches. Anyway, I was excited about my plan, and I wanted to tell you how it played out.  Saturday through Monday was all I had available, but here's what I accomplished during my mini sabbatical.

Once I arrived, sometime after two o'clock pm, on saturday, I didn't leave, not even to eat. I had my food delivered. I was on a mission.

Since saturday, I have written over 6530 words on my novel and plotted out  the rest of it. In fact, I'm pretty certain  I know how it will end. I'd have to say, It was a very productive sabbatical.

Life happens to all of us. We want it to. We want to be engaged and involved with our loved ones and the community around us, but sometimes we need time, me time. Uninterrupted time.  You may not be able to get a weekend or even a whole day away like I did, but you can ask for an hour or two.

And when you do here are my recommendations:

1: Prepare your mind for writing - Clear it. Tell yourself: your time is limited. The only thing you need to be thinking about during that time is writing.

2: Tell your family - "If you need me, here is how you let me know it's important, otherwise I won't answer." For me, I tell them to put 911 after their text. I'll know it's important and I call immediately.

3: Have a plan for what you want to accomplish. Whether it's a word goal, chapter goal, or to complete a project, and have a way to MEASURE IT. Hold yourself accountable.

4: Last but not least, keep writing. The world needs to hear from you.